TIOFH – Yartzheits Of Levi And Ruchma Lagovier

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /var/www/wp-content/plugins/wp-spamshield/wp-spamshield.php on line 2029

On 11/11/1942 Levi and Rochma Lagovier were put on a transport from Drancy France to Auschwitz. We have the document showing that they were on the transport but nothing about arriving in Auschwitz which usually meant that they died on the way.

Omi and her Parents

According to what we know, from a person that was there, is that Levi died on the way and Ruchma was shot when the train arrived either in Auschwitz or at one of the other stops along the way.

We don’t know what date either of them died but we know that the transport normally took about 2 days from Drancy to Auschwitz – the train made 17 stops along the way – based on this calculation 11/11/1942 corresponds to Kislev 2 yesterday so they either died or were killed today or tomorrow so if anyone wants to light a candle for them the names are Levi Ben Yissocher Dov Ber  and Ruchma Bas Alexander Sender. They’re Neshamos should an Aliyah.

Transport list page with the Lagovier’s

Important to note that the Rebbe and Rebbetzin used they’re tickets to come to America on the Serpa Pinto from Lisbon a little over a year before on June 12, 1941.

For more information on this trip click here for an article of events on Chabad.org

Ship manifest with the Rebbe & Rebbetzin’s name

Information from Yad Veshem about they’re transport.
Transports to Extinction-Transport Details

Transport 45 , Train Da.901/38 from Drancy, Camp, France to Auschwitz Birkenau, Extermination Camp, Poland on 11/11/1942

On January 20, 1942, top Nazi officials convened in Wannsee to discuss the implementation of the Final Solution, after which the deportation of Jews throughout Nazi occupied Europe to extermination camps would increase in momentum. On June 11, 1942, a meeting took place in Berlin with the participation of Adolf Eichmann, head of the Jewish Affairs Department of the RSHA (Reichssicherheitshauptamt, Reich Security Main Office), the Sipo-SD chiefs in Brussels and The Hague, and Theodor Dannecker, head of the Jewish Affairs Department at the Sipo-SD in France, to discuss the deportation of the Jews from France, Belgium, and the Netherlands. The discussants resolved to transfer 100,000 Jews from France to the camp in Auschwitz, Poland, for labour purposes. A prerequisite for the deportation was that the Jews—men and women alike—be aged 16–40. The discussants also decided that no more than 10% of the deportees could be unfit for work, that the transports would begin on July 13, and that there would be three transports or so each week. The cost of transporting the Jews, set at 700 Reichsmarks per capita, and including two weeks’ worth of supplies starting from the first day of travel, would be covered by the French Government.

Upon his return to France, Dannecker conferred with Darquier de Pellepoix, head of the Commissariat général aux questions juives (CGQJ) (General Commissariat for Jewish Affairs), and revised the plan: instead of 100,000 Jews, only 40,000 would be deported. The revised scheme was to be implemented within three months starting in mid-July 1942. At the insistence of the Vichy Government, only foreign or stateless Jews would be arrested. Responsibility for the mass arrests was assigned to the French police on the basis of a commitment made by Police Secretary General René Bousquet, on July 2, 1942, to immediately incarcerate 10,000 Jews from the unoccupied zone and 22,000 from the occupied zone. In the largest roundup, on July 16–17, French police detained more than 13,000 foreign Jews in Paris and gathered them at the Velodrome d’Hiver stadium (Vel’ d’Hiv). From there, they were transferred to three camps in the occupied zone—Drancy, Pithiviers, and Beaune-la-Rolande. Another large spate of arrests took place across the unoccupied zone on August 26.

In September 1942, transports of Jews left France every other day, usually from the Le Bourget-Drancy station, a short distance from Paris. After their arrest, the Jews were concentrated in the central detention camp in France, Drancy. On September 8, 1942, Jean Leguay, Second in Command at the French National Police in the occupied zone, met with Heinz Roethke, Dannecker’s successor at the Department of Jewish Affairs, and confirmed that 7,000 arrests had been made in the unoccupied zone. Thus, he added, the French authorities could guarantee enough Jews to meet the transport quotas only until September 14; afterwards, the number of Jews available for deportation would not suffice. In response, Roethke said that the original plan—seven transports departing on September 15–30—would proceed in any case; if necessary, additional arrests would be made and the 4,000 Jews interned in camps in the occupied zone would be deported as well.

The leaders of the Sipo (Security Police) in Paris objected to Roethke’s request that they arrest Jews with French citizenship. Among the objectors were Helmut Knochen, Senior Commander of the Sipo-SD in France, and Carl Oberg, Higher SS and Police Leader (HSSPF) in occupied France. They pointed out that the French public and several church leaders had protested against the raids conducted in the country during the summer of 1942 which caused Bousquet and Vichy Prime Minister Pierre Laval, to request that the Germans stop demanding quotas of Jews for deportation. Oberg and Knochen expressed their preference for the continued collaboration of the Vichy regime, which would further serve the strategic and financial interests of the Reich. Knochen notified Eichmann on September 25 that “we are unable to send a large number of Jews” and “for the meantime, there will be no additional arrests of French Jews.” Due to this change in policy, 13 transports scheduled for October 1942 were cancelled.

The German authorities in France now looked for ways to intensify the arrests of foreign Jews residing in France.
On October 30, Roethke sent Knochen a report summarizing the raids conducted in the occupied zone. The report claimed that 1,965 Jews in total were arrested and transferred to the Drancy internment camp and asked that three transports be arranged to depart for Auschwitz during the first ten days of November. He further noted that the German Embassy in Paris authorized the arrest of Greek Jews residing in France, and that the records in his office indicated that 1,416 Jews with Greek citizenship were registered in the Seine Department. The next day, October 31, Roethke sent a report to Eichmann in Berlin stating that within a few weeks there would be 3,000 Jews incarcerated at the Drancy camp, and that he therefore intended to send out three transports on November 4, 6, and 9.

On November 4, Emile Hennnequin, chief of the Parisian police, instructed the police chiefs in stations in Paris and its suburbs to arrest the Greek nationals. The raid began on November 5 at midnight and ended at 6:00 a.m. The detainees were brought to the local police stations. At each station, a bus and a guard detail were waiting to take the deportees to the Drancy camp. On November 5, Roethke sent Knochen a report of the raid conducted that morning: 1,060 Greek Jews were arrested, among them 364 men, 523 women, and 173 children.
Greek Jews were also arrested throughout the occupied zone. The French Gendarmerie arrested all Jews of Greek descent in the Ille-et-Vilaine Department (district) on November 9. The Gendarmerie submitted a report on the arrest of Vidal Nahum who was born in Thessaloniki: “On this day, November 9, at 7:00am […] we approached the house of the Jew Vidal Nahum and arrested him. The Jew was transferred to the Drancy camp […] where he is currently incarcerated.”

Following the completion of the raid, Ernst Heinrichsohn, Roethke’s second in command, requested that Eichmann authorize an additional transport, the fourth to depart during the month of November. However, since the Greek Jews arrested in the outlying provinces had not been delivered to Drancy within the allotted time, Heinrichsohn had difficulty filling the quota. Instead, he personally removed 35 patients from the Rothschild Hospital and placed them on this transport. Among these patients 22 were over 70 years of age, and 6 were over 80.

On November 11 at 8:55 am, the train designated Da 901/38 departed from the Le Bourget Drancy railway station to Auschwitz with 745 Jews on board. The commander of the transport was Feldwebel Brand.
Based on the schedule of the first transport out of Drancy in June 1942, the train probably took the following route: Le Bourget-Drancy – Bobigny – Noisy-le Sec – Epernay – Chalons-sur-Marne – Revigny – Bar-le-Duc – Lerouville –Neuburg/Noveant which had been serving as the border point with Germany since. The train arrived at Neuburg-Noveant at 20:20. Afterward, the train is believed to have taken the following route to Auschwitz: Metz – Saarbruecken – Mannheim – Frankfurt-am-Main – Fulda – Erfurt – Leipzig – Dresden – Goerlitz – Legnica – Nysa – Katowice – Auschwitz.

When the transport reached Auschwitz, 112 men were selected for labor; they were tattooed with numbers ranging from 74633–74744 and 34 women were received the numbers 24490–24523. The other deportees were murdered in the gas chambers as soon as they reached the camp.
Only two deportees from this transport were still alive in 1945.

The route and stops the transport made.
The route and stops the transport made.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


ERROR: si-captcha.php plugin: securimage.php not found.